Mur's World!

Friday, May 05, 2006

The 5th of May

So here it is, Cinco de Mayo. Of course, it's not a holiday I celebrate, but I love the simplicty of the name. It's like the 4th of July, which almost no one calls by the official "Independance Day" name. Probably because that's also now the name of an Aliens-attack-Earth movie with Will Smith. Here's to the Mexican holiday, and I hope that it never has a summer Alien invasion blockbuster named after it.

Other random thoughts:

1. OS installations are really annoying. I've attempted a Solaris 10 x86 installation this week, and configured the system only to be told that Solaris could not format the disk. I've had a CentOS 4.3 installation started, only to stall at the "Formatting /boot" progress bar.

Argh.

*This* is why I haven't upgraded my laptop to Fedora Core 5. Well, that and apparently the latest batch of FC5 updates pretty much disable your system. I think I'll stick to my current OS until I have some compelling reason to change.

2. Canon is da bomb! I just got a Canon PowerShot S80 camera. Amusingly enough, I also acquired a Pixma i6220 color printer in the deal, as due to the rebates for purchasing both, I get a free printer and an extra $25 off the camera. On the same day I managed to snag a 512MB SD card and a 128MB SD card for a grand total of $2.77 (Staples.com - after rebates and a $25 gift certificate). So it was a good online shopping day.

Anyway, the camera is *awsome*. Our last camera was an S30 - same series, about 3 years old. I loved that camera, but as we are going on some big vacations coming up, I wanted the ability to be able to crop photos without losing too much detail or printability. So the S80's 8 megapixels should keep me happy for quite a while. It's got plenty of preset modes that seem to work great. And though the Pixma isn't the top of Canon's photo printer line, I tried a direct print from one of my new photos and it looks great!

I'm definately looking forward to taking tons of pictures, and being able to print them in my craft room for scrapbooking! Now I just need some more 4x6 paper. I wonder if the Canon will print well on HP photo paper. Hmm...

3.

Okay, there isn't any 3. I just didn't want to leave it at 2. Here's to the 5th of May, the upcoming weekend, and homemade popsicles.

Oh, and if you have any Coca Cola mycokerewards.com codes (red caps from bottles, points on 12-pack can boxes), please feel free to send the codes on to me! I'm collecting for a PS2. Or maybe a PSP. I'll hold off on saying where to send it - if anyone ever actually reads my blog and wants to send me cods, I'll get the info to them later.

Mur!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home